Wednesday, October 10, 2007

ALL THAT AND A BAG OF CHIPS

If you're like me, you like turkey. If you're like me, you like cranberries. And stuffing. And gravy. If you're like me, you would also like to give thanks for even a shred of self-control when seated before a Thanksgiving feast. However, if you really are like me, you can't give thanks for self-control because it abandoned you faster than Pamela Anderson says "I do".

For those of us in Vancouver without self-control, Thanksgiving doesn't have to end just because the calendar has advanced. There's still turkey to be had and it's in Gastown.

Vancouver's historic district is fast becoming quite the gastro-centric neighbourhood. About six months ago, that reality unfolded further with the opening of So.cial at Le Magasin.

Yup, the place is called So.cial. Nope, that's not a spelling error. It's just the unnecessary use of punctuation. That's all it is. Period. As for Le Magasin, that's French. And it's the name of the 97- year old building where you'll find So.cial. It's a gorgeous space. Pressed-tin ceilings, murano glass chandeliers, really-little-tile floors and tons of natural light from the enormous windows offering views of the captivating mix of Vancouverites on Water street.

Back to the turkey, I found it in the So.cial custom butcher shop and deli, just behind the restaurant. It's got to be the best spot for lunch I've been to in Gastown. This butcher shop is simple concept: Line up and look at the list of deli meats on the chalkboard (Capicolla, Martadella, Roast Beef, etc.), tell them what kind of bread you'd like it on, tell them what else you want besides the meat (roasted veggies, mustards, etc.), and then you can add salad (greek, green, etc.) or soup (du jour) to the whole deal.

Did I mention it's really cheap? I ordered a small-size smoked turkey sandwich for $4.50, but their idea of "small" is more than big enough for lunch. I added the soup for $3. It was also turkey and it was one of the best soups I've eaten in a restaurant (naturally, nothing beats Grandma's borscht).

You can eat your lunch in the butcher shop at a long table on a high stool, or you're welcome to take your food into So.cial's restaurant and eat there if you prefer. The kind and low-key staff bring cutlery and a glass of water the very moment you plop yourself down.

As an extra treat, the butcher sends you off with a brown paper bag filled with their made-in-house, sea salt and vinegar potato chips. They are a little bit of heaven, indeed. Now, while I may be powerless to the almighty turkey dinner, you should have seen Amber with whom I shared company and lunch. Her weakness was surely revealed to be the potato chips. Not only did she eat her own bag of chips, but mine too (I offered).

She belongs to a running club so I'm sure those chips are long gone. My couch potato club, however, will make me pay for every single potato chip I even think about.

Try So.cial - it's c.ool and the f.ood is g.ood. 332 Water street in Gastown.

Just can't get enough? Then click HERE!

No comments: